Happy rainy first day of Summer! Can you believe we had 20 days of rain in May, and 14 already in June (and it’s only the 21st!). Luckily, this weekend is looking gorgeous, making it a good time to perform your seasonal maintenance tips.
To keep your home in tip-top shape, we’ve compiled a list of Seasonal Maintenance Tips for you below. Enjoy!
INTERIOR SUMMER MAINTENANCE TIPS
- Monitor the relative humidity in your home with a hygrometer; you should maintain 35 to 40 percent. This can be controlled by using your exhaust fans, air conditioning and dehumidifier.
- If your home is equipped with a water softener, fill the tank with solar salt. Check that the time is set correctly.
- Check your smoke/carbon monoxide detector and vacuum the outside of units to clean them.
- If your exterior doors are equipped with an adjustable threshold, they may need to be adjusted for optimal operation and/or energy efficiency.
- Confirm all windows operate properly.
- Inspect and change your furnace filter per manufacturer recommendation (clean lint from clothes dryer exhaust pipe).
EXTERIOR SUMMER MAINTENANCE TIPS
- Wash siding and masonry with a hose. Clean screens and windows.
- Clean out weepholes. (Weepholes are small openings on the exterior of windows and sliding patio door frames that allowwater to move outside the track.)
- Seal your exterior concrete driveway, garage floor and sidewalk with a concrete sealer.
- Apply a summer fertilizer product to your yard. Remove any excess fertilizer that may have landed on the concrete.
- Install trees and plantings as needed, per the neighborhood restrictive covenants. Always call Digger’s Hotline (811) to locate underground utilities before planting trees, rototilling a garden spot.
- Do not dispose of yard waste in neighborhood greenspaces. Find the nearest Yard Waste Site by visiting your city’s website.
Please note: If you do not feel confident in performing any of these duties, please contact a professional. For more information on how to keep your new home acting like a new home, please check out our Maintenance Tips page.
And don’t forget to join us on our Ice Cream Truck Tour, which kicks off this weekend! We’re heading to almost all of our active neighborhoods and dishing out free Chocolate Shoppe ice cream, for full details check out Jenn’s post here!